Sunday, October 9, 2011

Internal Fix

Racing heart, shaking knees, trembling hands, shortness of breath, swirling thoughts....these are some of the symptoms that I used to experience on a regular basis.  Like many performers, I experienced so much fear and anxiety as a musician that I almost didn't know what to do with myself.  Wishing for a way out of the discomfort, I found myself reaching for prescription drugs before a concert to take the edge off.  Along the way, I somehow figured out that if I held my breath for several seconds and exhaled slowly several times before I walked on stage, I could actually reduce and sometimes reverse my symptoms.

Although I'm no longer faced with the same anxiety I experienced as a performer, let's just say that I am never short on reasons or opportunities (such as my children fighting over a toy for 3rd time in the last hour) to foster inner calm.  I imagine that you might be in a similar boat because we all have button pushers in our lives to some degree.

Similar to how I used my breath to ease my fears, the following breathing technique called 4-7-8, by Dr. Andrew Weil, involves holding and releasing the breath to settle the nervous system.  It's incredibly powerful, and unlike anti-anxiety medications that can lose their effectiveness over time, this technique actually becomes more effective the more you do it.  I have even taught a modified version of this to my children hoping that someday they might remember that breathing and being calm is an option even while in the middle of a heated debate over who gets tucked in first.

Here is the link for 4-7-8 (listed under breathing exercise #2).  It is my version of a glass of wine, minus the calories and price tag.  I challenge you to give take this on the next time you find yourself reaching for your favorite external fix.  How is the comfort that you find in a cigarette, drink, or cookie different from what you are able to create internally with 4-7-8?



Curious,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment