Monday, September 12, 2011

First day jitters

photo by Leo Reynolds
What might we create for ourselves, our children, and our planet if we remembered to breathe? What if we stopped running our old stories about ourselves long enough to take just one deep breath?

As humans, our negative commentaries (I'm not good enough, no one will like me, I'm a bad parent, I'm a better parent, etc.) take us away from noticing what is real, true, and tangible.  They keep us flailing helplessly in a sea of I can'ts, I'm nots, and I shoulds that are hardly ever based in reality.  A few deep breaths - I'm talking so deep that you feel them in your pelvis - can bring you from the land of make believe right to this very moment.  While the breath may not get rid of your fears, worries, frustrations, or your neighbor's barking dog, it will bring you to this moment where you can create another possibility for yourself - a new commentary.

For example, my daughter and I both have the first day jitters.  I am feeling terrified of what you all will think of my first blog entry...the what-ifs that are coursing through my brain and body have kept me from starting this project for months.  Similarly, my daughter is so nervous to meet her new teacher and see old classmates that she is visibly pale and expressionless.

Pause. Breathe.

photo by Marco Bellucci


What changes after I breathe is that I become aware that really, I am a human being sitting at a computer and typing some words.  Really, I am none of the things I fear, and none of you have thrown virtual rotten tomatoes at me.  It's all made up.

For me, the breath in this moment reminds me that I have courage.  For my daughter, her breath brought pink back into her cheeks and allowed her to put one foot in front of the other.

Fear + breath = courage. What gift will your breath bring you?

With Courage,
Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Love it and love you! You should be very proud, I know I am!!!
    I am trying to learn to breathe... Like most things for me, it does not come easy.. But with your words in my head, I know I can do it!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A breath, a pause, a very powerful tool for staying grounded, I agree! Congrats on your blog! If I lived nearby I'd be you client, for sure! Keep posting your blog posts to FB, please =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I'm really excited to read your words and "connect" with you again even if I don't get to see you that much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful new endeavor. When on earth do you find the time to "do it all"? The blog looks great and I'm excited to see where this new journey leads you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the dog...
    I've been writing a blog for a number of years now and understand how "putting yourself out there" can be unnerving. But just as you have done, I remembered that it's not about what anyone else thinks, because I'm not responsible for what their reaction is, it's about how good I feel when I write and share and put my positive intention into the world. Let it be for you and it will naturally "be" for others as well.

    ReplyDelete